Organize your shapes into different categories using Layers. Toggle the visibility of these layers, or choose to remove all shapes under the selected layer.
Watch the video below to get a better idea of layers:
See Video: What are layers and how to use them?
Layers allow for easy management and organization for a collection of similar shapes. To view all layers available in your current drawing, go to View menu at the top of the editor and choose Show layers. This will open up the Layers dialog, where you can access every action you can do to a layer.
A newly created drawing will always have a Default layer. To add more, follow either 2 of the following actions:
- In the Layers dialog, click on the + icon.
- Right click on a shape, and hover over Assign to layer in the menu. Then, choose New layer. The right-clicked shape will be assigned to the newly created layer automatically.
Assign shapes to layer
All newly created shapes are assigned to the current active layer unless reassigned to another. An active layer is a layer that is currently selected in the Layers dialog. By default, the active layer is always the Default layer. To change a shape's assigned layer, follow either steps:
- Select 1 or multiple shapes, then right click on the shapes. Hover over Assign to layer and choose your preferred layer from the list.
- In the Layers dialog, click on a layer to make it an active layer. Now, all newly created shapes will be assigned to the selected layer. The active layer is always highlighted in blue.
There are several things to take note of when assigning shapes to a layer;
- Shapes can only be assigned to 1 layer. You can not assign 1 shape to multiple layers.
- All shapes must belong to a layer. If a shape is never assigned to any layer, it will be assigned to the Default layer.
Delete a layer in the Layers dialog by clicking on the dot menu and choose Delete layer.
- If the layer is void of shapes, it is deleted immediately.
- If there are shapes in a layer, you can choose to move the shapes to the Default layer, or delete them together with the shapes.
The Default layer can't be deleted.
What other actions can you do with layers?
- You can rename a layer by double clicking the layer name. The Rename layer option can be found by clicking the dot menu as well.
- To select all shapes in layer, click on the cursor icon next to the layer name.
- Click on the eye icon next to the layer name to hide or show all shapes in the layer.
- You can hide a layer in a published drawing or during print as well. Toggle Show in print/publish when clicking on the dot menu in the Layers dialog!
Understanding layer behavior
A layer follows the shape wherever it goes. This ensures that layers are recreated wherever the shape is dropped or pasted in. Vecta ensures the layer is carried over when you do the following actions;
- Pasting a shape into another drawing.
- Saving the shape into a symbol, and dropping the symbol in another drawing.
- When trying to undo or redo, the layer may be recreated if the deleted shape is added back into the drawing.